WA Surface Mining purchased its first surface miner in 2006. It was this 2200SM machine that would found a company and create a mining revolution.
Surface Miners cut, crush and load the material in one single pass. This means that one machine completes the job of many different pieces of equipment. The mining process thus becomes straight-forward and economically efficient. Surface Miners can also be fit with laser levelling systems and Global Positioning Systems to control the depth of the cut.
The 2200 Surface Miner uses a mechanically driven cutting drum for the selective mining of minerals with unconfined compressive strengths of up to 50 MPa. It can be equipped for loading the mined material via a front-loading conveyor system with slewing and height-adjustable discharge conveyor or for working in windrowing mode. It has a cutting depth of 0-300mm and cutting width of 2,200mm.
WASM was the first company in Australia to import and operate the Wirtgen 2500SM series Surface Miner. It is capable of mining up to 1800 tonnes per hour to a depth of 600mm.
The 2500 is much larger with a cutting depth of 0-600mm and a cutting width of 2,500mm. The machine requires only one operator and can be operated in either a windrowing configuration or a conveyor. The surface miner uses a mechanically driven cutting drum for the selective mining of minerals with unconfined compressive strengths of up to 80MPa. It is equipped with individually height adjustable crawler tracks and a two stage conveyor system.
To complement the 2200SM and 2500SM surface miners WASM has all the equipment and resources necessary to provide a stand-alone service.
WASM's fleet consists of:
- 2 Wirtgen 2200 surface miners
- 4 Wirtgen 2500 surface miners
- Laser systems for accurate level control
- 2 fully equipped service trucks
- 2 water trucks (capacity 15,000 litres each) to service the surface miners and to aid in general dust suppression duties
- 1 Caterpillar IT Loader
- Transportable site offices and amenities
- Transportable workshops
- Generators to supply all site and workshop power needs
- Extensive spare parts storage for on-site accessibility
- A fleet of 4-wheel drives